Food and drink What we do for food and drink businesses
The food and drink industry is constantly undertaking R&D, whether companies are trying to improve the quality of their products, meet dietary requirements or trying to avoid the sugar tax; many of the challenges that they face and how they overcome them qualifies for R&D Tax Relief.
Qualifying activities within the industry extend beyond development of recipes for taste and nutritional content but also to the packaging of the products.
Examples of R&D activity within the Food & Drink sector include:
- Development of new product formulations and manufacturing process specifications.
- Improving nutritional properties whilst maintaining flavour and quality eg low fat, low calories, no trans-fat etc.
- Eliminating allergens, preservatives and artificial dyes.
- Reformulating an existing product with different raw ingredients.
- Modifying an existing products stability, consistency, flavour, texture, form or shelf-life.
- Scaling up production whilst maintaining the same quality as trial recipes.
- Utilising existing or adaptation of new technologies from other industries for novel applications to improve food manufacturing processes or products.
- Developing innovative packaging solutions (see below).
average claim by SME’s in the construction industry
of all claims in the UK
We provide training, tailored to your business, that improves your understanding of the scheme to strengthen knowledge or awareness of R&D tax credits.
QUICK AND SIMPLE
Our straightforward, jargon-free process ensure claims are robust against any HMRC scrutiny and improves or sets up internal processes to make future claims more efficient
Our forward-looking team embraces new ideas to deliver incredible tax savings coupled with expert approachable tax advice.
The Zeal Guide to R&D Tax Relief
Everything you need to know to make a claim for R&D tax credits.
Our team is made up of chartered tax advisors and food and drink sector specialists.
All your needs covered from one-off consultancy projects to a fully managed claim service.
We never promise to increase your claim, but we guarantee we'll maximise it.
You might be interested in . . .
Article: Undertaking R&D and received a Grant?
When looking at eligible expenditure for R&D Tax claims there is one category that often strikes initial confusion – EPW’s. EPW stands for Externally Provided Workers - a phrase that doesn’t exist outside the world of R&D Tax.Read in full
Article: Prevent HMRC enquiries on R&D claims
HMRC enquiries can be very costly and take up a great deal of your valuable time and resources if sufficient care isn't taken. Learn how to avoid these costly mistakes.Read in full
Article: R&D Qualifying Expenditure
When looking at eligible expenditure for R&D Tax claims there is one category that often strikes initial confusion – EPW’s. EPW stands for Externally Provided Workers, which still doesn’t shed too much light on what they are as it’s a phrase that doesn’t exist outside the world of R&D Tax.Read in full
Industry News: R&D Tax – An industry reflection
Most industries experience BOOMS, whether it’s as far reaching and impactful as the dotcom boom, or more sector specific or regional; like craft beer or manufacturing in Birmingham. Over the past five or so years the world of R&D Tax has experienced such a BOOM.Read in full